Bing Cherry Cobbler Bars
Looking for the perfect dessert to bring to a Fourth of July party this weekend?
These cobbler bars. Do it.
See below for the recipe, and have a happy 4th!
recipe adapted from here
makes about 24 bars
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 cups all-purpose flour (I substituted 1c for wheat flour)
1 cup cold unsalted butter (2 sticks)
1/4 teaspoon salt
zest + juice of one lemon
1/2 cup white sugar
4 teaspoons cornstarch
4 cups fresh cherries
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 9×13 inch pan.
2. Remove all cherry stems & pits (I used a pitter) and cut cherries into quarters or chop into small pieces.
3. In a medium bowl or a stand mixer, mix together 1 cup sugar, 3 cups flour, and baking powder. Mix in salt and lemon zest.
4.Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the butter and egg. Dough will be crumbly. Pat half of dough down into the prepared pan.
5. In another bowl, stir together the sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Gently mix in the cherries. Sprinkle the cherry mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble remaining dough over the cherry layer.
6. Bake for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown. Allow to cool on counter for 30 min, then place in the fridge to cool for an additional 1-2 hours before cutting into squares.