10 Takeaways from Alt Summit 2012

1.23.2012

photo © justin hackworth via alt summit

I’m back! Did you miss me? Before we get back to blog business as usual, I wanted to share just a hint of my experience at Alt Summit with you. This trip was essentially a week of college for design bloggers, and I mean that in all of the best possible ways.  Some of my online acquaintances have become dear friends and I’ve returned home with invaluable networking connections, a new perspective and a wealth of information (not to mention some pretty amazing swag… yeah, I’m talking about you Epiphanie bags). I’m going to need more time to process it all, but for those of you who are interested, here are my top 10 takeaways from the trip:

1. Your most valuable connections might get made while you’re 30,000 feet in the air, or waiting in line for the ladies room.  Always, always be prepared.

2. Using the manual settings on your camera makes all the difference in the world. No more denial. Photography classes begin next week.

3. As a whole, design bloggers are an insanely generous and welcoming group.  Also, we sure do love us some stripes + ballet flats.

4. Your roommates can be your best source of motivation, inspiration and advice.... totally worth the messy hotel room.

5. You can increase or decrease the size of a brush tool in Photoshop just by using the bracket keys. Doh... thanks Ollibird.

6. Publishing a book is not nearly as lucrative, profitable or even fun as one might think. But it sure does come with some good street cred.

7. “If you don’t bet on yourself nobody else will.”  - Ben Silbermann, Pinterest

8. The only thing better than 1 fabulously designed party is 8 fabulously designed mini-parties.

9. I don’t know nearly enough about (you) my dear readers. I’m going to correct that and soon...

10. “If you cram your life with the things you love, there’s no room for the things you don’t.”  - Gretchen Rubin, The Happiness Project

If you're interested in more information on a specific subject from the conference, I'm happy to share... feel free to drop me a line in the contact form with your request.

Carrie Rowe (January 23, 2012 at 9:11 AM)

These are great! I've heard such great things about Alt for years now.... I really want to go next year!!

Melissa (January 23, 2012 at 9:50 AM)

Thanks so much for sharing! I am glad it was a fruitful trip for you.

Andrea (January 23, 2012 at 10:32 AM)

Those all sound like amazing takeaways to learn from! Thank you for sharing them! Love what Ben said from Pinterest! So true!

Jessie (January 23, 2012 at 11:34 AM)

Well put!! I can't even begin to sum up the experience myself!
It was so nice to finally meet you in person and get to hang out with you a bit! xx

The Tiny Abode (January 23, 2012 at 6:42 PM)

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to attend Alt. However, there's nothing I love in 'ol blog world better than Alt recaps!! There is soo much to learn just from reading from all of you who attended and who were inspired. Maybe next year!!

Notes from Holly St. (January 23, 2012 at 7:59 PM)

Sounds amazing! I've been reading so much about it on other blogs that I am itching to go myself next year. Thanks for sharing these snippets!

Cake. (January 23, 2012 at 9:45 PM)

If you want to see even more, check out these gorgeous images for a true snapshot of the event: http://www.mossandisaac.com/category/life/

DULCESOBREMESA (January 23, 2012 at 10:13 PM)

Sounds so fun and interesting!!!!

Peonie (January 25, 2012 at 3:05 PM)

Love how beautifully written this is! I hope to go next year! I've seen your business card on other bloggers recaps from the alt summit! So glad to have found you! You've got a new follower!

<3 P

Cupcaking Around!

Shannon @ A Mom's Year (January 31, 2012 at 3:23 PM)

Hi Becca,
ALT looks like an incredible time, but would you say it's geared specifically toward designers? Or do you think it's for anyone who blogs, no matter what their specific focus is?

Cake. (February 1, 2012 at 7:23 AM)

@Shannon: Alt is geared towards 'design bloggers'. That means different things to different people, but my experience was that everyone had some kind of design related skill or aesthetic... whether it was in graphic, interior, fashion or photography. It's not a general blog conference like BlogHer, nor is it a craft conference like the Creative Connection. It's definitely a niche for artsy/creative types. Hope that helps!