I’m back! Did you miss me? Before we get back to blog business as usual, I wanted to share just a hint of my experience at Alt Summit with you. This trip was essentially a week of college for design bloggers, and I mean that in all of the best possible ways. Some of my online acquaintances have become dear friends and I’ve returned home with invaluable networking connections, a new perspective and a wealth of information (not to mention some pretty amazing swag… yeah, I’m talking about you Epiphanie bags). I’m going to need more time to process it all, but for those of you who are interested, here are my top 10 takeaways from the trip:
1. Your most valuable connections might get made while you’re 30,000 feet in the air, or waiting in line for the ladies room. Always, always be prepared.
2. Using the manual settings on your camera makes all the difference in the world. No more denial. Photography classes begin next week.
3. As a whole, design bloggers are an insanely generous and welcoming group. Also, we sure do love us some stripes + ballet flats.
4. Your roommates can be your best source of motivation, inspiration and advice.... totally worth the messy hotel room.
5. You can increase or decrease the size of a brush tool in Photoshop just by using the bracket keys. Doh... thanks Ollibird.
6. Publishing a book is not nearly as lucrative, profitable or even fun as one might think. But it sure does come with some good street cred.
7. “If you don’t bet on yourself nobody else will.” - Ben Silbermann, Pinterest
8. The only thing better than 1 fabulously designed party is 8 fabulously designed mini-parties.
9. I don’t know nearly enough about (you) my dear readers. I’m going to correct that and soon...
10. “If you cram your life with the things you love, there’s no room for the things you don’t.” - Gretchen Rubin, The Happiness Project
If you're interested in more information on a specific subject from the conference, I'm happy to share... feel free to drop me a line in the contact form with your request.