Birds nest cupcakes... the ideal dessert for a nesting shower. I used chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese frosting, toasted coconut & chocolate covered almond ‘eggs’. Just one word of caution... I made the almonds the night before and some of the blue powdered sugar sunk into the chocolate overnight. If time allows, it would be best to serve them the same day, but c'est la vie... they were still yummy.
8 oz (227g) cold cream cheese1 stick (113 g) unsalted butter, firm but not cold
1/8 tsp salt
3 3/4 cups (375 g) confectioner’s sugar, sifted
1/2 tsp vanilla
1. In a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the flat batter, beat the cream cheese, butter and salt on medium-low speed until smooth and creamy, 2 to 3 minutes.
2. Reduce the speed to low, gradually add the confectioners’ sugar and beat until incorporated.
3. Add the vanilla and beat just until incorporated. D
4. Add milk, 1 tsp at a time, if frosting does not have a spreadable consistency.
(makes 1.5 cups)
Directions: Preheat oven to 350. Spread coconut on a baking sheet, bake until light brown 8-10 minutes rotating pan once. Set aside to cool.
Chocolate Almond Robin’s Eggs
Makes about 2 pounds
2 1/2 cups (13 ounces) un-blanched whole almonds
1 pound chocolate chips
1/2 cup blue dusting powder
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Toast almonds for 15 minutes on a baking sheet. Line baking pan with parchment paper; set aside.
- Place chocolate in a medium bowl; place bowl over simmering water until melted.
Drop in the Almonds and stir until coated.
- Transfer nuts onto prepared baking pan and separate nuts so none stick together.
- Refrigerate until chocolate has set, about 20 minutes.
- Place powder into bowl. Toss the nuts in powder and gently tap off any excess powder.
- Store separately in airtight containers for up to 1 month.